This week (October 25 – 31) it’s ace week! Ace week is all about raising awareness and celebrating the ace (asexual) community. Do you know what asexual means?
An asexual person experiences little to no sexual attraction. Unlike celibacy, which is a choice to abstain from sexual activity, asexuality is a lack of attraction and is not a choice. Action does not equal attraction, so while many asexual people don’t have sex, many will, for various reasons that do not require sexual attraction to be present.
Asexuality is a spectrum and the word asexual can be used as an umbrella term for anyone on the asexual spectrum. Everyone on the aspectrum is valid and welcome here 🙂
Ways to celebrate / inform yourself this week:
https://www.aceweek.org/stories/5-ways-you-can-participate-in-ace-week On the website of aceweek you can find some ideas about how to participate in ace week. Eating cake and garlic bread of course is always a great option as well haha! If you have any ideas yourself you can put them in the comments down below.
We’ll end with our personal favourite books/series/content creators on the aspectrum for you to check out! (okay to be honest.. these are the only ones I personally know. There isn’t a lot of asexual representation out there) Feel free to add to this list in the comments!
- Loveless (book with an aromantic asexual main character by Alice Oseman)
- Sounds fake but okay (a podcast where two aspec women talk about love, relationships, sexuality and anything else they just don’t understand)
- @sallyvinter on Instagram (Ace comics)
- @justaroacethings on Instagram (informative posts about asexuality and aromanticism)
- @an.aroace.cat on TikTok and Instagram (TikToks about being asexual and aromantic)
- Sex education on Netflix (has an ace character in season 2)